Nature Pedagogy is an understanding of our sense of belonging to land, our sense of working with nature. There is a pedagogical shift when you move outside into nature... it's learning with nature, not just teaching about it
- Claire Warden
Fall 2022 - 2023 Tuition and Registration:
- We will begin accepting Fall 2022 Enrollment Applications on February 21st.
- You may schedule a private school tour NOW to begin the process.
Our Forest Kindergarten program is offered to children ages 3 to 6 years old.
- Children who turn 3 years old by August 1 are generally ready and eligible for this class. After the initial tour with your child, we will determine if your child is a candidate for our Nature Base program. Children must be able to communicate their needs for a restroom and be potty proficient. For purposes of safety and respect to self and others or wildlife, children will also need to be able to follow directions, safety rules and guidelines at all times. We strive to create a balanced and diverse population of learners for our Preschool class that meets regularly:
- 5 days a week: Monday through Friday
- Hours: 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
- A 10 month school year:
- Tuition: $1,075 per month
- Yearly registration fee is non a refundable $200 (per child) to reserve a spot for the school year.
- Currently enrolled Families have a discounted $150 registration fee during their enrollment period
- Priority for Enrollment:
- Currently enrolled families
- Siblings of enrolled families
- Wait List families
- General public
- Our school year generally follows the Cobb County School calendar (August - May), holidays and closings.
- The tuition is prepaid and due by the first business day of each month.
- There are no deductions of the monthly tuition for sick days, snow days, vacations, holidays, power outages due to snow/ tornado / hurricane or other unforeseen circumstances beyond our control.
- We maintain a very low teacher to student ratio 1-2:6
Application and Registration Process
We are pleased that you are interested in our Nature Preschool experience. Choosing an appropriate preschool for your Child and Family is an important decision and we hope to help you in this process.
Our process for applying and registration:
- FIRST completely read our website and schedule a school tour. We require that you bring your Child with you to the initial tour. Come prepared with questions and we will be happy to discuss any questions that you may have as well as give you an opportunity to review our Parent Handbook in advance.
- THEN if you feel that Kennesaw Mountain Nature Preschool may be right for your family and would like to apply, fill out an application, scan and email the document along with a photo of your Child.
- AFTER we have met and taken a school tour together, we need to make sure that any questions are answered and that our school is a good fit for your family as well as discuss any other concerns or special circumstances that may need to be addressed.
- ONCE the applications have been received we will notify families of their application status during our review and wait period depending on the number of applicants received. This process could take several weeks but we will notify you of your acceptance in a timely manner.
- WHEN you have received the confirmation to enroll your child, then we will send you an enrollment packet (including a copy of the Parent Handbook) that you need to return as soon as possible fully filled out (leaving no blanks) along with $200 deposit to hold your child's spot. Any missing or inaccurate information may delay or forfeit your Child's spot.
- Make sure to attach your Child's immunization records per GA State licensing requirements.
- The enrollment process will be officially done and your Child will be enrolled once we receive all the required enrollment paperwork, Registration deposit and our bank clears your payment. You may pay Registration fees by Pay Pal on our website, in person or mail to our school address.
- The WAIT LIST is an option for Parents who are interested in our unique Nature Based Preschool experience and wish to be on the wait list for the event that a spot opens up throughout the school year. The first step to applying for the Wait List is to schedule a private tour for you and your Child. After you have taken a private tour, we have discussed your potential enrollment and have offered you a spot on the list, then you may pay the wait list fee of $25. You may pay this fee via pay pal or mail in a check with your application.
Ensuring success in our Forest Preschool program:
- Be prepared for your Child to dress appropriately for exploring freely outdoors, get dirty, and feel comfortable no matter the weather. Dressing appropriately for the outdoors is a requirement for the health, safety and emotional well being of all enrolled students.
We borrow the old Scandinavian adage ~
There is no bad weather, but inappropriate clothing choices.
- Before you apply for our program, consider whether you and your Child are comfortable with or willing to be outdoors for most of the school day and in a variety of weather. We require dressing your Children in layers during the winter months, with loose clothing so that the body can warm itself and insulate in between layers of clothing.
- We are here to support families and offer Parents recommendations as well as a few requirements for appropriate clothing for the factors of safety, durability, waterproofing, comfort and ease of use. When dressed appropriately, Children will be healthy and safe while happily playing outside and become accustomed to the seasonal changes. Occasionally we have used clothing that can be used in time of need where someone has forgotten items, etc.
- We will provide ALL of these items for every Child's use while enrolled in the program:
- Rain Suits / Rain Coat
- Wool Mittens & Waterproof mitten covers
- Bucket Hat
- Day back pack ( to carry lunch and extra clothes, etc.)
- Bento box and gel ice packs
- Nap mat, sheet, blanket, Forest Animal
Parents provide these items for their Child:
- Required Appropriate Clothing:
- Waterproof winter coat (Columbia, Lands End are good examples)
- Fleece hooded jacket
- Winter hat (wool beanie)
- Wool socks (a very important layer under waterproof boots)
- Fleece neck warmer (not a scarf )
- Rain pants ( Oaki rain pants)
- Thermal underwear (top and bottom base layer)
- Rain boots ( Oaki )
- Water bottle
- A full change of extra clothing including undergarments at all times
- We will provide you with a school 25% discount code when you purchase from Oaki Wear. This code is specific to our Nature Preschool and will be very handy when ordering any outdoor gear, especially the rain pants and boots that are worn on a daily basis!